Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Gift of a Glacier

What a place to celebrate a birthday!  David booked a glacier cruise and "gave" me a glacier for my birthday.  Lucky me!

There were incredible views as soon as we started sailing out of Resurrection Bay into the Gulf of Alaska.

We were next to the Kenai Fjord National Park and on top of the mountains you could see the Harding Ice Field that feeds the glaciers throughout the park.

 
My first glimpse of the Aialik Glacier!

It was exciting to get closer and closer.  From afar it looked like frozen silence.

Happy Birthday to Me!   6/22/2010

Seeing our "Sister Ship" put it all in perspective.

The Aialik Glacier is called a tidewater glacier because it goes right into the ocean. Rather than receding by melting it flows forward and pieces fall into the water.  The process is called "calving". I kept waiting for this piece to "calve".  The ice is a work of art that looks frozen in time yet it moves three feet a day!
The captain took us close to the glacier so we could hear it moan and groan.  Sometimes it sounded like thunder.  As we watched many small sections of ice fell into the water, but you had to be quick to get a photo.

One last look as we pulled away.  On the trip back to the harbor the crew offers the passengers hot chocolate and chocolate chip cookies.  I was surprised when one of the crew members called my name and asked me to identify myself.  Then he announced to everyone that this was my birthday.  As he passed me the first cookie everyone sang Happy Birthday.

What fun! What beauty! What memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment